Sunday 4 November 2012

Yoga socks

My favorite pair so far! The yoga socks I started almost a year ago and finished just last month.



I like doing yoga a lot, and during the winter there is always this problem - my feet getting cold especially during the standing poses. But normal socks won't do because with them it get slippery and yeah, dangerous.

So I thought, I have so much red wool yarn left over, why not to try to make my own?

So I sat down and tried to think of a simple and quick way to make them. Didn't use double pointed needles, since I usually try to avoid them if I can - I find them too much time consuming when it comes to projects of rather small diameter. 
The popular choice - just straight needles were also the ones that allowed me to knit both socks at the same time. And avoid having a problem of counting rows or making the first sock and never getting to make the second one soon.


And here it goes: I cast on two separate pieces of 40 stitches each, knitted plain stockinette for a few centimeters, then cast off half of the stitches in the sides, knitted and then created the same amount of stitches again. It was more or less like making a huge horizontal buttonhole across each sock. A bit time consuming, but liberating - no sewing, not cutting, no nothing of these things. The last part was just knitting stockinette stitch to the desired length.


After having knitted the pieces, I sew the sides together with the mattress stitch and crocheted borders around all knitted edges.

Easy and fast project. So why did it take so long to get finished? I guess because sometimes I get super lazy and when a project/yarn in use doesn't inspire me much I just keep leaving it on the side.. waiting to be continued some undefined time in the future.






No comments:

Post a Comment